Diggins makes history for USA Cross-Country
28. 02. 2023
Jessie Diggins has made history in cross-country skiing at the 43rd FIS Nordic World Ski Championships by becoming the first American woman to win the 10-kilometer race.
The 31-year-old competitor from St. Paul ended Norway's domination of the past three championships and became only the second non-Swedish woman to win a gold medal in cross-country skiing in Planica. Frida Karlsson finished second, earning her second silver medal in the event held in the valley under the Ponce Mountains. Sweden's Ebba Andersson, who was crowned champion in the 15 km skiathlon, finished third.
Althaus shock the Norwegian's
At the 43rd FIS Nordic World Ski Championships, Jessie Diggins became the first American woman to win the 10-kilometer cross-country skiing event. The Swedes were left without gold for the first time in the valley under Ponca. German ski jumper Katharina Althaus is one step closer to a perfect performance at the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships after completing qualifications on the large hill.
Day off in Planica
Monday was a day off at the 43rd FIS World Ski Championships in Nordic skiing. The competitors will be exceptionally busy over the next five days, as 10 more world titles will be awarded in Planica starting with the men's 15km cross country race.
Nika Križnar © Žiga Živulovič jr. / BoBo
Training makes perfect
On March 1st, in addition to three medal competitions in ski jumping, Nordic combined, and cross country, competitors will also have official training sessions. Competition in Planica will start at 9 a.m. and will end with a women's ski jumping event on the large hill.
Norway is in a class of its own in medal tally
So far, the Norwegians are at the top of the medal leaderboard at the FIS Nordic Ski World Championships Planica 2023. In seven days of competition, they have collected a total of 14 medals, including six golds, four silvers, and four bronzes. In second place is Germany with three gold medals, four for second place, and one for third.
Next in terms of success is Sweden, which has won all of its medals in cross-country skiing. They have three gold FIS snowflakes, three silvers, and two bronzes.
Austria has a total of four medals, while the USA and France have two each. Four countries have won one medal, including Poland, Japan, Italy, and the host of the championship, Slovenia.
You may not know...
- The most successful country in the FIS Nordic World Championships is Norway. Until the 43rd FIS Nordic World Ski Championships in Planica 2023, their athletes have won 398 medals, of which 159 are gold.
- Austrian Johannes Lamparter won a gold individual medal in Nordic Combined at both the Youth World Championships and the FIS Nordic Ski World Championships in 2021.
- The television viewership of FIS Nordic Ski World Championship Planica during the first week reached 150 percent of the viewership of the entire Alpine Skiing World Championships on the most important German market. The first results in Scandinavia are also exceptional. Also the The viewership on Slovenian Television is excellent as well.
01.03. | 10:00 | VIP tent Planica
- SUSTAINABILITY CONFERENCE
in cooperation with Umanotera
01.03. | 17:00 | Media Centre, Planica
- Presentation of the I feel Slovenia brand
Petra Bezjak Cirman, Acting Director of the Government Communications Office,
custodian of the I feel Slovenia brand
Rok Capl, Acting Director of SPIRIT Slovenia, the public agency for the promotion of
entrepreneurship, internationalisation, foreign investment and technology
Maša Puklavec, Head of Content Digital Marketing at the Slovenian Tourist Board
03.03. | 16:45 | Media Centre, Planica
- Sport education for young people
Dr- Gregor Jurak, Full Professor at the University of Ljubljana – Faculty of Sport, Head of the SLOfit Research Group
Mirjam Bizjak, Headmistress of the France Prešeren Grammar School in Kranj, where students can also study in the sports department of the Grammar School
Cene Prevc, former ski jumper with a silver medal in the team competition at the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, SLOfit ambassador
Entertainment & Ceremonies
01.03. | 12:00 | Fun Arena zabave, Planica
- Animation & Smooth Band
| 20:23 | Medal Plaza, Kranjska Gora
- Cross-Country Women 10 km Free
- Cross-Country Men 15 km Free
- Nordic Combined Men HS138 / 4 x 5 km Team
45 min Recess
- Ski Jumping Men HS102
- Ski Jumping MIX Team HS102
- Ski Jumping Women HS138
- Concert King Foo
02.03. | 12:00 | Fun Arena zabave, Planica
- Animation & Smooth Band
| 19:00 | Trg Zmagovalcev, Kranjska Gora
- Concert Ansambel Saše Avsenika